From: Zhang Weiwu <zhangweiwu@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ftp server software which supports a control connection?
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:26:39
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 10:45:12 +0800, zhangweiwu@××××××.com wrote:
3 >
4 >> As I am monitoring ftp through a wireless LAN which max at 300KB/s,
5 >> running X11-forwarding is not comfortable. running a desktop session on
6 >> the server and run vnc seems overkill.
7 >
8 > What's wrong with looking at the server's log file(s) in a standard SSH
9 > session?
10
11 Because that mess up with other user's ftp activities. Also because I
12 don't get the knowledge which folder the user I am watching is in (I
13 could tell this by looking at the log backwards and find his last 'cd'
14 command, but it's more convenient to look it just on the UI). There are
15 other functions that is convenient on the UI but not on the commandline,
16 e.g. number of concurrent connection a user have is directly on the UI
17 on Serv-U but with vsftpd I have to run some smart combination of
18 grep/sed/awk to get this info, and can be difficult to get it in real
19 time. Also consider information you cannot get from reading the log,
20 e.g. find out who is taking the biggest share of download badnwidth
21 right the moment your user complain being too slow.