From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:28:51
1 On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:20 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2012-03-13 8:07 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> You want it simple? Tha'ts fine, it is possible. It's just that it
5 >> will not solve the general problem, just a very specific subset of it.
6 >> Just as mdev is doing; Walt just posted an email explaining that if
7 >> you use GNOME, KDE, XFCE, or LVM2, mdev is not for you.
10 > Very interesting thread guys, and thanks for keeping it relatively civil
11 > despite the passion behind the objections being raised...
12 >
13 > I just wanted to point out one thing (and ask a question about it) to anyone
14 > who argues that servers don't need this - if LVM2 really does eliminate the
15 > possibility of using mdev for fundamental reasons (as opposed to arbitrary
16 > decisions), that rules out a *lot* of server installations.
17 >
18 > So, that is my question... what is it about LVM2 that *requires* udev?
19 >
20 > Or asked another way -
21 >
22 > Why is LVM2 incapable od using mdev?
23
24 The presumption is that lvm's dependent binaries would be found
25 somewhere under a mount point other than / (such as /usr), which gives
26 you a chicken-and-egg problem if mounting that mount point requires
27 lvm.
30 :wq