From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-devel/llvm and LLVM_TARGETS
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2022 17:37:12
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 12/03/2022 10:43, Dale wrote:
3 >> https://bugs.gentoo.org/767700
4 >>
5 >> Is that the one?  It mentions the target but I don't quite understand
6 >> the why.  The biggest thing, will this break something if I let it do
7 >> it?
8 >
9 > No. Unlike GCC, LLVM/Clang is always a cross-compiler. This just
10 > enables some extra targets. It won't actually affect anything other
11 > than perhaps the binaries becoming a bit larger.
17 I'm doing this in a chroot so it is recoverable if it was a problem but
18 now I know it's OK to do on my main install.  I still find it odd but if
19 it is needed and there is a reason for it, sounds good to me.
20
21 If this were a bad thing tho, this is why it is always good to look at
22 the output before doing a update.  If this was a serious package that
23 would cause widespread breakage, one would want to catch this.  I've
24 sort of read about llvm and clang and I seem to recall things like
25 Firefox needing them or something.  Even if it did break things, I don't
26 think it would cause breakage to the point of rendering a system
27 unbootable or anything.  Still, I check the output of updates for this
28 reason.  If nothing else, I could have caught the tree in the middle of
29 a change and missed some important bits.
30
31 Thanks to all for the info.
32
33 Dale