From: Wayne Oliver <wayne.oliver@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] shopping for a laptop - tools to bring
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:34:12
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Devon Miller [mailto:devon.c.miller@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: 16 May 2007 02:13
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o; gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] shopping for a laptop - tools to bring
6 >
7 > I am in the process of shopping for a new linux laptop.
8 >
9 > I'm currently running on an HP Pavilion ze1000 with an upgraded disk.
10 > It mostly works, but the VIA graphics chips means no compositing, no
11 > beryl, and anything OpenGL is slow.
12 >
13 > I'm looking to upgrade and while I'm aware of the vendors specializing
14 > in Linux laptops. I also keep seeing some comparably equipped machines
15 > at the local office super store for sub $1000 prices.
16 >
17 > Does anyone know of a bootable CD intended for testing laptop (or
18 > desktop) functionality?
19 >
20 > I'm hoping someone out there has built something on top of Knoppix or
21 > Gentoo's LiveCD that will examine the hardware and report what's good
22 > and what's bad.
23 >
24 > Anyone familiar with such a disc?
25
26 Just about any live CD will do the trick, only problem is I doubt any
27 livecd ships with the proprietary drivers you may need to get 3D and
28 wireless working out the box.
29
30 Wayn0
31 --