From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Email-based games
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 03:05:02
1 On 5/29/06, JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > Does anyone have any suggestions for some fun email based games? I have
4 > never played any before, I don't know if any exist.
5 >
6 > I guess I have some turn-based strategy like game in mind. I wanted to
7 > see If I could get a friend to play across the Net.
8 >
9 > The requirements are it needs to run on Gentoo(me) and Windows(him) (or
10 > be able to run fine in vmware for me). Oh, and it needs to be fun : )
11 >
12 > Thanks,
13 >
14 > Jim
17 There's an entire website devoted to over a hundred such games.
18 Check out Richard Rognlie's gamerz.net. In particular the PlayByEMail
19 (PBEM) section at http://www.gamerz.net/pbmserv/
20 Some of the games are pretty active -- renju often has a score of games
21 starting or ending each day. You'l also have no problem finding
22 chess or go opponents.
23
24 For a similar turn-based experience, you can try the web-based
25 LittleGolem at http://www.littlegolem.net/jsp/index.jsp -- the pace
26 is very similar, and you can get email notifications when it's your
27 turn, but viewing the game and making moves is done via a browser.
28 There are not as many distinct games as exist on gamerz, because
29 that system allows third parties to write the game engine, so there
30 are contributors who've added to the collection.
31
32 Enjoy!
33
34 ++ kevin