From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RFC: Implementing a spamfiltering frontend
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 16:15:53
1 On 2011-05-21, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 21/5/2011, at 5:13am, Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> Due to the increase of spam/phishing emails received by my office, I
6 >> decided to explore the idea of implementing a spamfiltering 'frontend'
7 >> in front of my email server.
8 >>
9 >> Here's how I plan to do it:
10 >>
11 >> fetchmail (G) --> postfix (G) --> amavisd+spamassassin+database (G)
12 >> --> postfix (G) --> current email back-end (WS) --> clients (W)
13 >>
14 >> (G) = the single Gentoo server working as mailfilter
15 >> (WS) = mail server on Windows Server
16 >> (W) = various Windows clients (XP and 7)
17 >>
18 >> I need fetchmail because currently we still use a hosting company, at
19 >> least until August when we host everything on our own. Then, we'll
20 >> drop fetchmail and expose postfix for the world to deliver the mails
21 >> to.
22 >
23 > You shouldn't need amavisd / spamassassin, once you're exposing Postfix to
24 > the outside world, if you configure it well.
25 >
26 > You should do things like checking that the DNS name matches the helo
27 > response given by the server trying to send you mail (this alone filters out
28 > a good deal of spam) and be able to use things like DKIM, SPF and even
29 > SpamHaus.
30 >
31 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys_Identified_Mail
32 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework
33 > http://www.spamhaus.org/
34 >
35 > (SpamHaus says "free for personal use upto x,000 messages per period", but
36 > they don't mind business use as long as you're under that limit; still it's
37 > cheap, once you've used the free account to prove the service)
38 >
39 > Using fetchmail you're unable to reject mail in the same way, so you have to
40 > use stuff like amavisd / spamassassin.
41 >
42 > Lots of discussion of this on the Postfix mailing list. You should
43 > definitely read that for a week or two before deploying.
44 >
45 > Stroller.
46
47 Well, we've been receiving obvious spams from @yahoo.com, @gmail.com,
48 and these are valid addresses (apparently people who got phished).
49 Plus, the Gentoo document I linked earlier also linked to a document
50 that considers RBLs as... not quite effective.
51
52 In addition, if I rely only on DKIM+SPF+RBL, there will be collateral
53 damage, i.e., false positives. For business reasons, we'd rather have
54 false negatives (one or two spams got through every week) rather than
55 false positives. In addition, a cursory check on our clients indicates
56 that only a few percentage of them implemented SPF. Much less DKIM.
57
58 Due to the above reasons, I need a spamfiltering solution that relies
59 on analyzing the messages themselves.
60
61 Rgds,
62 --
63 Pandu E Poluan - IT Optimizer