From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Update to "make" breaks lots of things...
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:32:14
1 I don't think this is Gentoo-specific, but I've noticed that a recent
2 update to "make" is causing makefile breakage. For example, trying to
3 build a Linux 2.6.28 kernel:
4
5 beta linux-2.6.28-gentoo-r5 # make oldconfig
6 Makefile:442: *** mixed implicit and normal rules. Stop.
7
8 Apparently the authors of "make" are cracking down on things that have
9 been allowed for many years. As a result, some Makefiles don't work
10 anymore.
11
12 At least for me, that means that "make" now needs to be slotted so
13 that I can keep an older version around that's compatible with older
14 Makefiles. Is there any chance of that?
15
16 [I don't suppose anybody knows off-hand which version of "make"
17 introduced all the breakage?]
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! My vaseline is
21 at RUNNING...
22 gmail.com