From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Coping with KDE upgrades
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:57:11
1 I converted to KDE modular some time ago with considerable trepidation.
2 Now I'm faced with the updates that came out this week, and I'd like to take
3 advantage of the opportunity this offers to dispense with (that is, unmerge)
4 the many parts of KDE I will never use.
5
6 The problem is obvious and unavoidable: there are 231 parts that
7 currently are in my world file, and I do not know what all of them
8 do. I can cherry-pick a few that are obvious throw-aways by removing
9 them from world, and waiting to see if they get updated anyway because
10 they're actually needed.
11
12 Does anybody have advice about how to improve that process? Would it
13 be better to remove all but the obvious keepers?
14
15 I'm not looking forward to the pains-taking process of vetting each and
16 every one of the 231, but I don't want to be spending the time to recompile
17 the presumed multitude that I never ever use.
20 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list