From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Some problems I've been having
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:41:02
1 I've had problems galore this week. Yesterday I had to re-merge evince
2 because my pdf view wasn't working. This morning I had to re-merge gtk+
3 because file-roller and seamonkey weren't working. I rebuilt my kernel
4 (2.6.17-gentoo-r8) in yet another attempt to upgrade to
5 media-tv/ivtv-0.8.0 because the kernel didn't have CONFIG_VIDEO_CX2341X
6 set. Can anyone help me with this? I simply can't find it. Yesterday an
7 etc-update asked me to review a proposed change to /etc/rc.conf. I said
8 to go ahead and replace it, thinking that I could modify the new one with
9 my custom options later. I did notice that the option for X login screen
10 was gone (gdm/kdm/xdm). Where has this moved to? When I rebooted with my
11 rebuilt kernel (which still does not have that stupid option included) I
12 was met with the cold boring xdm login screen. I want gdm back. Any
13 ideas how I can get it? When I logged into Gnome, my two panels were
14 frozen (fixed that with killall gnome-panel), but my mini-commander applet
15 crashed (repeatedly with repeated killall gnome-panel). Is there a way
16 for me to find out why it crashed and how to fix it? I had to re-merge
17 evince again this morning because nautilus wouldn't work. (Why are all
18 these libraries suddenly failing? revdep-rebuild reports nothing amiss!)
19 Evolution-2.6 freezes immediately after startup (I'm writing this in
20 squirrelmail - seamonkey works, for now at least.) Here's the output in
21 my terminal from it:
22
23 michael@camille ~ $ evolution-2.6
24 Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": libatk-bridge.so: cannot
25 open shared object file: No such file or directory
26 GTK Accessibility Module initialized
27
28 (evolution-2.6:7159): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find
29 module 'libgail-gnome' which is needed to make this application accessible
30
31 (evolution-2.6:7159): Gnome-WARNING **: Accessibility: failed to find
32 module 'libatk-bridge' which is needed to make this application accessible
33 CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
34 Bonobo-Activation-Message: About to register
35 'OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Shell:2.6': 0x8129700
36 Bonobo-Activation-Message: registration of
37 'OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Shell:2.6' returns (success)
38 Bonobo-Activation-Message: Successfully registered
39 `OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Shell:2.6'
40
41 (evolution-2.6:7159): camel-WARNING **: camel_exception_get_id called with
42 NULL parameter.
43
44 (evolution-2.6:7159): camel-WARNING **: camel_exception_get_id called with
45 NULL parameter.
46
47 I don't see anything in that output that tells me why it's freezing. the
48 camel_exception_get_id thing is kinda ominous, but I think it always says
49 that when I start it from the terminal. Also, is there a way to find out
50 if my firewall is actually running at any given time? I use ipkungfu, but
51 when /etc/init.d/ipkungfu status says it's running, I can't find anything
52 in ps about ipkungfu or iptables. Is there a way for me to know for sure?
53 Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated...
58 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list