From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] transplant /usr/portage [Was: Backup] [Was: Old Firefox ebuild?]
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 22:18:14
1 On 27/10/16 02:40, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-10-15 22:03, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >
4 >>> PORTDIR = [path]
5 >>>
6 >>> Defines the location of main repository. This variable is
7 >>> deprecated in favor of settings in repos.conf. If you
8 >>> change this, you must update your
9 >>> /etc/portage/make.profile symlink accordingly. Defaults
10 >>> to /usr/portage.
11 >>>
12 >>> So, 2 warnings ... looks dangerous after all.
13 >>
14 >> Not really warnings, just advice. Yes, you should really use the new way
15 >> of setting it. Then run eselect profile to reset your profile symlink.
16 >>
17 >> All you are doing is moving the portage tree to a filesystem that you
18 >> backup and telling portage abut it. There's nothing dangerous about it
19 >> and you won't stop your system working even if you get it wrong. I do
20 >> that on all my Gentoo boxes as I don't want dynamic data in /usr.
21 >
22 > So I have done this, but now every portage operation gives me:
23 >
24 > !!! Section 'x-portage' in repos.conf has location attribute
25 > set to nonexistent directory: '/usr/portage'
26 >
27 > There is no [x-portage] section in /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf,
28 > the file I modified to point to the new location. My modification was:
29 >
30 > < location = /usr/portage
31 >> location = /var/lib/portage/ports
32 >
33 > and this was in the [gentoo] section.
34 >
35 > Apart from that file, there is also
36 > /usr/share/portage/config/repos.conf, but I thought this was just a
37 > template for the one in /etc. The original contents were the same,
38 > ie. location = /usr/portage, and _no_ [x-portage] section.
39 >
40 > I am confused, just as I feared would happen :-(
43 No its not a template - portage reads it and throws a wobbly. I just
44 copy /etc/portage/repos.d/gentoo.conf over it (or whatever you are using
45 on your system). I think its supposed to be a default fallback, and it
46 all workd regardless even with the error.
47
48 BillK