From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH authentication attempts - serious issue
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:06:56
1 On Mon, Jun 05, 2006 at 05:27:24PM +0200, Oliver Schmidt wrote:
2 > > this seems to be a brute force attack, but one thing that worried me
3 > > is why sshd didn't disconnect the remote host after 3 unsuccessful
4 > > attemps? If we see in the log, there are many attemps with time
5 > > interval between attemps of 2 or 3 seconds meaning that the sshd
6 > > didn't disconnect the remote host after 3 attempts.
7 > > So, first, Am I thinking correct about the sshd attempts?
8 > > Second, how can I setup sshd or the entire system to permit just 2 or
9 > > 3 attempts of authentication? I was checking the /etc/login.defs file
10 > > and I see the following option:
11
12 Please tell me if I am wrong, but IIRC, each connection attempt to sshd calls
13 one instance of login, so altough the LOGIN_RETRIES option sets 3 attempts
14 before the program exits, an ip address is free to initiate another connection.
15
16 There has been many discussions on this list in the past 18 months regarding
17 this very issue (blocking brute-force ssh attempts). A search on gmane should
18 give you some ideas about how to use iptables to filter out the offending
19 ip addresses but limiting number of connections allowed per time period.
20
21 > Try use Denyhosts ... no problem with bruteforce attacks anymore. Denyhosts
22 > add the IP of the attacker to the /etc/hosts.deny file.
23 > Install it with:
24 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge denyhosts
25 > and add to your /etc/crontab
26 > */10 * * * * root python /usr/bin/denyhosts -c /etc/denyhosts.conf
27 >
28 > Use it now for more then a year... its perfect to block bruteforce attacks.
31 Hey, this is a great program. If it were in portage earlier I wouldn't have
32 needed to write my own solution to the problem. (I use a perl script to
33 parse /var/log/pwdfail and drop the connection at the firewall.)
34
35 According to the homepage of denyhosts, it should be able to run in daemon mode,
36 by following the log file. Is there any reason you prefer running it in crontab
37 instead of as a daemon? I am asking because judging from my past experiences,
38 the attackers often send out multiple attempts per second, so a */10 would
39 let in upwards of 30 attempts before denyhosts picks up.
40
41 Best,
42
43 W
44 --
45 Willie W. Wong
46 wwong@××××××××××××××.edu
47 brought to you by the Roman letter i, the Hebrew letter \aleph, the Greek
48 letter \pi, and the non-letter \hbar
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list