From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Running 3rd party apps intended for Ubuntu/RedHat
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 23:52:18
1 On 2018-08-21, james <garftd@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > On 8/21/18 6:25 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
3
4 >> There are a handful of 3rd party, closed-source apps that I run on my
5 >> Gentoo systems. Often they're available for RedHat or Ubuntu,
6 >> sometimes for "generic" Linux.
7 [...]
8 >> I've been thinking about trying to automate this by installing the
9 >> app on an Ubuntu or RedHat system and then running a bash script that
10 >> uses ldd et alia to find and bundle up the set of required library
11 >> files. (How deep to recurse in the tree of library dependencies will
12 >> be a big question.)
13 >>
14 >> If I understand what containers are (never used them), it occurs to
15 >> me that if I bundle up everything all the way down to libc and
16 >> libgcc, I might as well be using a container, right?
17 >>
18 >> Is this a good use case for containers, or is there some other way to
19 >> do this?
20 >
21 > An alternative might be to use flatpak where applicable?
22 >
23 > https://flatpak.org/setup/Gentoo/
24
25 I've seen flatpack, but it seems to be intended for developers who are
26 building applications. It wasn't at all obvious that it could be used
27 to package an application binary contained in a .rpm or .deb file.
28
29 I've also been reading up on appimage:
30
31 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppImage
32
33 It too, is primarily intended for use by the application developer,
34 but I have found references to using it to package an existing app
35 that's available as a .deb or .rpm file. The instructions a generally
36 thus:
37
38 1. Create an AppDir that contains all of the executable, config, and
39 library files needed to run your application. This is apparently
40 done by hand.
41
42 2. Use some tool or other combined with some additional configuration
43 files, to create an appimage from your AppDir.
44
45 But, once I've manually done step 1, that's all I need. Create a
46 tarball and Bob's your uncle. For me, converting it to an appimage
47 subtracts value: it just adds additional layers of complexity.
50 Grant