From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Steam is still BROKEN
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 19:59:04
1 On July 29, 2018 19:43:06 Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Daniel Salas Rodriguez wrote:
4 >> On 07/29/2018 09:34 AM, Alan Grimes wrote:
5 >>> James Stevenson wrote:
6 >>>> I've migrated all of my gaming over to GOG. I kept some of the x86_32
7 >>>> libraries from ~/.local/share/steam incase I need to add them to the
8 >>>> library path for launching some games but otherwise I've removed steam
9 >>>> from my PC. I've also set my video drivers to 32b in my package.use
10 >>>> but that's my whole setup.
11 >>> I had been operating under the assumption that my windows machine was
12 >>> the unstable platform and was preferentially selecting games that I
13 >>> could run on Linux....
14 >> Why would you assume that WIndows is the unstable one when every game is
15 >> built with Windows as the first class citizen? Even if you are changing
16 >> it every day it should be way better than running in Linux.
17 >
18 > I believed the lies about open source and linux etc, even despite my
19 > lived experience... Mostly because I hate Micro$oft to death...
20 >
21 > =\
22
23 IMO, that's a rather myopic reason to select an operating system. An OS,
24 like any other piece of software, is a tool for a task. You select the
25 one(s) which allow you to accomplish what you want to on the hardware you have.
28 > What in god's name are the linux ppl trying to build here?!?!?!
29 >
30 > It's certainly not a stable, usable, and reliable operating system...
33 Funny you should say that. A Linux machine has been my primary personal
34 desktop for around 18 years now. Most of that has been on Debian or some
35 derivative, but part of what I want from the tool at hand is that it does
36 what I want - so I had the freedom to switch to Gentoo and ditch PulseAudio
37 and systemd, the two flies in my otherwise functional ointment. I've only
38 been here for a little over a year, but I'm incredibly grateful for the
39 hard work and the helpful people. Perhaps you should look up that word:
40 gratitude. Remember that all of this costs you nothing and costs others one
41 of the only two resources we genuinely have (time, the other being our
42 physical being) for which they recieve no extrinsic reward. And perhaps you
43 should exercise your freedom to select another operating system.
44
45 And I'm running KDE and steam without issue, ignoring nvidia driver bugs
46 wrt Vulkan, affecting exactly one game I have. But I'm not here to bore you
47 all with my thoughts on nvidia and their non-alliance with the Linux community.
48
49 > --
50 > Please report bounces from this address to atg@×××××××××.com
51 >