From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Well, I went about updating my system again. (day 6)
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2016 00:48:57
1 On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 21:36:37 +0200, Thanasis wrote:
2
3 > > While you can untar it, that's a bit messy, and has caused problems
4 > > for me in the past (overwriting the /lib symlink with a directory.
5 >
6 > There is an option for tar, to *not overwrite* a symlinked directory, I
7 > think it's *h*
8
9 Unfortunately, I couldn't apply it retrospectively :(
10
11 Once I realised why everything was breaking, it was easy enough to
12 restore the symlink.
13
14 Even so, untarring a .tbz package is a brute force approach and should be
15 followed by emerging it properly, otherwise portage can be out of sync
16 with what is actually on the disk.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 User-friendly: (adj.) trivialized, slow, incapable, and boring.