From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine: incremental back-ups
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2012 10:21:56
1 On Thu, 2012-10-04 at 02:38 -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > My new machine is working very well -- thanks again for the advice -- ,
3 > tho' the sighing noise from the CPU fan is a bit trying (smile),
4 > & I'm considering setting up an incremental back-up system
5 > so that if the SSD collapses,
6 > I can restore everything from files stored on the HDD without re-installing.
7 >
8 > I already have an adequate set-up of back-ups, incl off-site copies,
9 > which ensures my personal files + configs cb restored,
10 > but it involves some human intervention from me at various times
11 > & I would have to re-install all the system + Portage stuff.
12 >
13 > What do people who do incremental back-ups use ?
16 dirvish - its in portage
17
18 "In other news, I've learned from the director of the Oregon State
19 University Open Source Lab that they will be backing up their servers
20 with dirvish. These servers are the primary mirror sites for Mozilla,
21 Kernel.org, Gentoo, Drupal, and other major open source projects."
22
23 This is from the dirvish website in 2005 when I started using it - if
24 its good enough for those guys ...
25
26 I am still using it on multiple systems without problems. Space
27 efficient versioned backups. The website is a bit out of date, but
28 there is still dev going on behind the scenes as shown by googling -
29 solid and reliable so doesnt need to change much.
30
31 Recommended.
32
33 BillK