From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 15:04:08
1 On December 11, 2018 2:00:45 AM UTC, "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com> wrote:
2 >On 12/10/2018 05:54 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 16:33:10 -0500, Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> Not sure which country would be a reliable location though, I
7 >>>>> wouldn't trust Western European countries either.
8 >>>> USA is currently the best option since there have never been proven
9 >>>> backdoors in made in usa hardware but plenty in chinese made
10 >hardware
11 >>>> such as the recent motherboard hack chip scandal.
12 >>> So that proves that US manufacturers are better at hiding their back
13 >>> doors?
14 >>>
15 >>> Or is it a numbers game, there are a hell of a lot more systems made
16 >in
17 >>> China, so the chances of a backdoor being discovered is higher.
18 >>>
19 >>> Either way, lack of evidence of insecurity is not proof of security.
20 >>>
21 >
22 >So tell us what is your perfect country for hardware manufacturing?
23
24 I can't think of any.
25
26 >Name one other country on earth besides america where you can say no to
27 >a governmental request for a backdoor in your hardware or software
28 >products and not end up in prison.
29
30 The USA can send someone to prison if he/she refuses a request by the government. It is called being a traitor.
31 In other words, I still don't consider the USA to be a reliable origin either.
32
33 >In the mean time will you continue to buy chinese products with proven
34 >backdoors since getting that is somehow better than something that is
35 >only almost perfect?
36
37 Here is the thing, there isn't anything proven.
38
39 >The amd bulldozer and piledriver CPU's like the FX-8350 and its opteron
40 >counterparts are made in germany (the packaging is done in china but at
41 >that point afaik there isn't much that can be done to fuck with it) but
42 >that still wouldn't satisfy you since germany doesn't have anything
43 >like
44 >the constitution - they have no freedom of speech.
45
46 Please do read up on other countries before making these claims. A Constitution is not a requirement for Freedom of Speech. Part of that is Freedom of Press, your own President is destroying that as much as he can.
47
48 >The future of freedom computing is OpenPOWER and RISC-V since they are
49 >the only owner controlled archs that have real performance and
50 >features,
51 >in other words they have juice.
52
53 Unless you are confident production is real and nothing was added, OpenPower can be compromised as well.
56 Joost
60 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.