From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any experience with wayland?
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2020 17:31:12
1 On Thursday, 9 January 2020 17:19:18 GMT Jack wrote:
2 > On 2020.01.09 11:38, Franz Fellner wrote:
3 > > Am Do., 9. Jan. 2020 um 18:35 Uhr schrieb Jack <
4 > >
5 > > ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>:
6 > > > Based on various wiki and forum posts,
7 > > > I'm using "dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland" as the last line
8 > >
9 > > in
10 > >
11 > > > .xinitrc, and launching with startx.
12 > >
13 > > I stopped reading here.
14 > > Please think about that again, especially what wayland was meant to
15 > > REPLACE!
16 >
17 > So if you think that's wrong/outdated/inappropriate - please suggest an
18 > alternative.
19 >
20 > I know the ultimate goal is for Wayland to replace xorg-server, but
21 > everything I have read so far indicates that currently it is really
22 > just the compositor, and in the case of KDE, that compositing is
23 > incorporated into kwin (launched as kwin_wayland instead of kwin_x11.)
24 > I have seen no instructions anywhere on how to launch wayland totally
25 > independent of xorg. As I said - I'll be happy to be pointed to any
26 > docs I seem to have missed. I do agree that most of the instructions
27 > out there seem to be somewhat outdated, but I would expect to find
28 > SOMETHING up to date.
29
30 Perhaps as far back as 6 months ago I was able to run Plasma and Enlightenment
31 desktops in Wayland, starting them from sddm DM. A couple of months ago
32 Wayland broke for me. It tries to start, then drops me back into the login
33 screen. I haven't bothered to troubleshoot it, because the mechanism of
34 providing me with a GUIfied desktop is less of an interest to me than being
35 able to get a desktop in the first place.
36 --
37 Regards,
38
39 Mick