From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A desparate needs advice!
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:58:13
1 On Tuesday 07 December 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have cloned an ~amd64 system which is running happily on a modern
5 > Opteron machine to an old Opteron machine. Unfortunately, I've built
6 > that system with CFLAGS -msse3 and msse4a and USE-flags sse3 sse4a .
7 > Since these instructions are not available on an old Opteron I had
8 > to "emerge -e world" which was (is) a real mess and which has taken 3
9 > weeks now (not full time, of course)
10 > I've rebuilt the kernel (several times) but I cannot boot the machine.
11 > When I boot with SystemRescueCD and change root, the machine runs
12 > perfectly.
13 > The boot process stops after displaying the messages
14 > Freeing unused kernel memory: 356 k freed
15 > init-early.sh used greatest stack depth: 4376 bytes left
16 >
17 > I have looked at dozens of places which Google returns but I couldn't
18 > find a reason. E.g. the kernel is built with amd-64-generic.
19 > I've re-emerged sys-apps/sysvinit several times but nothing helps.
20 >
21 > So, has anybody a suggestion on what to try out or how to locate the
22 > problem?
23 >
24 > I'm more than grateful for any hints since it could save me another
25 > three weeks work.
26 >
27 > Helmut.
28
29 lspci, dmesg, config, make.conf - would all be very helpfull. grub.conf too.