From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] old EEE PC 1000
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 08:56:57
1 On Sun, Feb 08, 2015 at 06:05:44PM -0700, Joseph wrote:
2 > I have an old Asus EEE PC 1000 and I don't think it will run Gentoo, it would be too slow to compile anything.
3 > It is running Ubuntu 11.10 and I think I'll need to re-install lighter version of Linux on it.
4 > What are my alternatives?
5 >
6 > I'll would like to run VPN, some browser on it and skype.
7
8 Hi
9 I ran Gentoo on my EEE PC 1000 some time ago. It wasn't that bad. building
10 stuff took some time but I even had suff like (then) openoffice, webkit-gtk and
11 chromium on it.
12 It'll take a while to build, but I was finde with that. It even felt more
13 performant than Ubuntu on the same device.
14 Judging from my current setup (no DE, dwm+other suckless stuff) I guess it's no
15 problem at all: skype is binary only anyways and there are at least two binary
16 browsers: firefox-bin and google-chrome.
17 I'd recomment to give Gentoo a try as long as you don't have other,
18 non-Gentoo-satisfiably motives...
19
20 WKR
21 Hinnerk
22
23 PS: I don't think that there is a lighter version of Linux that Gentoo if you
24 configure it for "lightness".
25 PPS: If you really want something else I can recommend Alpine Linux, though it
26 still isn't Gentoo.