From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Encryption questions
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 01:36:23
1 On 12/9/18 4:46 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3
4 Hi,
5
6 > As some may know, I'm making some changes and upgrades to my puter.
7 > One thing I'm considering, encryption of a select directory/mount
8 > point/file system.
9
10 Please elaborate on a hypothetical setup that you would like.
11
12 It might be worth starting with your current directory tree and calling
13 out things you would like to see encrypted.
14
15 > One thought I have, create a mount point named say "Encrypted" and put
16 > anything I don't want widely seen or hacked in that directory.
17
18 I understand why you are doing it. But I feel like having "Encrypted"
19 in the name is like painting a target on it.
20
21 > That would likely be on it's own partition or LVM setup.
22
23 Depending on how you do things, it might be possible to have your
24 encryption in the same LVM configuration. Or possibly a separate LVM
25 configuration that has multiple logical volumes in it used by different
26 mount points.
27
28 > I would likely keep other things open.
29
30 What is your reason for keeping other things open?
31
32 Or, asked another way, why not use full disk encryption? Or at least
33 encrypt the entire volume group? That way you don't need to worry about
34 what is and is not encrypted.
35
36 > Example, I may have /home on a partition of it's own but then have the
37 > encrypted directory mounted on /home/dale/Desktop/Encrypted. I could
38 > even let that be my Documents directory as well. I'm not to worried
39 > about browser history etc. Plus, I could log into KDE and not have to
40 > access the encrypted stuff if it is not needed. I don't need encryption
41 > to check the weather. lol
42
43 Since we're talking about LVM, please clarify if /home is it's own
44 partition outside of LVM or if /home is it's own Logical Volume inside
45 of LVM. It makes a difference.
46
47 I strongly believe that you should not feel like you have to change your
48 use case to use technology, encryption in this case. Rather the
49 computer should change what it does so that what you have been doing and
50 will continue to do is now encrypted.
51
52 > How I do that isn't a big deal really. My main question is this. If I
53 > go to the trouble of doing this, would I be *really* protected?
54
55 It depends.
56
57 > Is there a easily used encryption tool that isn't easily hacked?
58
59 I believe so.
60
61 > Also, when I login, I'd like to be able to type in password etc and it be
62 > available from that point on, unless I do something to lock it up again.
63
64 Are you implying that you want the encryption system to remember the
65 password and unlock files as necessary? Or are you wanting to enter the
66 password into something that uses it then and there to unlock things
67 until you lock them back up?
68
69 That's an important distinction.
70
71 I have done a fair bit with LUKS, also LUKS and LVM.
72
73 LUKS works by unlocking the encrypted block device and creating another
74 virtual block device that is the unencrypted interface. It's trivial to
75 put a file system on top of a LUKS device.
76
77 So, my use case was to unlock a LUKS device and mount the file system
78 that sits on top of it. Then anything on the system (with proper file
79 system permissions) could access the files therein. Then when I was
80 done, I would unmount the file system and lock (close) the encrypted device.
81
82 I have also dabbled with eCryptFS, which applies encryption as an
83 overlay. So when you access encrypted files through the overlay, they
84 would be read from the unencrypted on the fly. Writing to the files to
85 the unencrypted overlay would encrypt the files and write them to the
86 underlay.
87
88 Depending on the configuration, it's not possible to see the names of
89 the files (or directories), much less actually read them from the
90 encrypted underlay.
91
92 > Reason, I may even put some of my videos on that. I watch TV from that
93 > a lot.
94
95 Okay.
96
97 > Also, how hard would it be to do the same to my backups, since having
98 > a open set of backups would render the encrypted part just available
99 > elsewhere?
100
101 Backups are another thing entirely. Things like LUKS will usually not
102 translate to encryption with backups, because the backups see the
103 mounted file system. Things like eCryptFS can work with encrypted
104 backups, because they can work with the underlay file system that holds
105 the encrypted files while ignoring the unencrypted overlay.
106
107 There are also other possibilities of encrypting backups that are
108 completely independent of the files that are being backed up. Sort of
109 like a big encrypted tape drive or backing up files to a LUKS file
110 system that is subsequently unmounted & locked.
111
112 > While I get some of how encryption works, I don't keep up with it on a
113 > weekly or even monthly basis. I just see the occasional articles on it.
114 > I'd rather ask and get input from someone who uses and/or is more familiar
115 > with this. In other words, if it is worthless and someone knows it is,
116 > then let me know. If one tool is better/easier/etc than another, I'd
117 > like to know that as well.
118
119 I don't think encryption is worthless. I encrypt many of my emails and
120 sign most others. I also have a LUKS encrypted file system on my VPS.
121
122 It really depends on what your goal is and what you're trying to protect
123 from / against.
128 Grant. . . .
129 unix || die