From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 10:59:51
1 On 2013-07-30 5:32 PM, Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us> wrote:
2 > Which projects are most in need of developers or maintainers? I wouldn't
3 > mind learning a bit more about package maintenance, portage, and ebuilds...
4
5 One that I would *love* to see updated is sogo, which is in the gnustep
6 overlay....
7
8 http://www.sogo.nu
9
10 Very fast/lightweight (one server can handle thousands of users)
11 fullblown Exchange Server replacement that fully supports
12 Thunderbird+Lightning, as well as Outlook (NATIVE support, no MAPI
13 plugin required, it actually thinks it is talking to an Exchange
14 Server), and pretty much every mobile client out there, including Apple
15 iCal/iPhone, Blackberry & Windows Mobile (requires the Funambol SOGo
16 Connector), and Android...
17
18 The latest ebuild available is 1.2.1 which is really old - the current
19 version of SOGo is 2.0.7, and has *massive* improvements over the 1.x
20 series...
21
22 Also - it is also - or will be, I don't see anything on the current
23 website yet - capable of acting as a full blown Active Directory Server
24 with integration of Samba4 and Openchange, so, hopefully in the
25 foreseeable future, SOGo will be able to fully replace an AD Domain
26 *and* Exchange Server...
27
28 My plan is to get this installed in the next few weeks (I have paid
29 support from Inverse for this), and if/when the time comes to upgrade my
30 2008R2 domain controllers, I'll be migrating to SOGo AD Domain
31 controllers instead. I figure by that time (a few years or so), SOGo
32 will be well ready for prime time.