From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: gnome-control-center any way to configure without pulseaudio?
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 22:56:43
1 On 01/24/2012 01:14 PM, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Hi. I am upgrading gnome to gnome3 and I find that at least
3 > gnome-control-center wants pulseaudio, but I hate pulseaudio and, if
4 > possible, don't want to install it at all. I did configure
5 > package.provided to not compile, but gnome-control-center seems to
6 > require it. Anyway to get around this?
7
8 I feel the same, and I've started using xfce4 instead of gnome3 because
9 they don't require any sound daemon (yet) and the new gnome-shell won't
10 run on my old video hardware anyway.
11
12 I just scanned through the gnome-control-center code looking for clues
13 about pulse and found no sign that pulse is voluntary. There are no
14 config options to enable or disable pulse, so it appears that pulse is
15 here to stay in gnome3.
16
17 <oldfart>
18 I doubt that one in a hundred computer users would know how to use pulse
19 to fix sound problems even *if* pulse is the right solution. A long way
20 yet to go before pulse will be anything but a curse to me :(
21 </oldfart>