From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partition of 3TB USB drive not detected
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2016 06:45:39
1 On Sunday, July 31, 2016 03:37:55 PM Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > for my backups I use a 3TB USB drive (one big ext4 partition) without any
5 > problems. Just plug in the cable, mount it and perform the backup. The
6 > partition (sdi1) is detected an mountable without any problems:
7 >
8 > =============== %< ==============
9 > $ ls -l /dev/disk/by-id
10 > total 0
11
12 <snipped bunch of 'ls' statements
13
14 > =============== %< ==============
15 >
16 > However, when I boot a rescue system from a USB stick, the partition on the
17 > USB is not detected. I already tried latest SystemRescueCD (default and
18 > alternate kernel), Knoppix and the Gentoo Admin CD. Nothing, the partition
19 > is not available.
20 >
21 > What's the difference? Why does my kernel find this partition and the other
22 > one's do not? It's pretty silly to have a backup drive and cannot access it
23 > in question ;-)
24
25 Which kernel do you boot?
26 The systerescue-cd has 4 kernels:
27 2 * 64bit and 2 * 32bit.
28
29 By default, it boots the "default" one for the architecture you are booting.
30 Have you tried booting the "alternate" kernel?
31
32 I have 1 system that I need to boot using the "alternate" kernel as the
33 "default" one is too old. (Yes, by default it boots an old kernel)
34
35 It could easily be that the kernel you are using does not support your USB3
36 adapter or something else you used.
37
38 Eg. apart from all the 'ls' statements, also check "uname" and
39 "/proc/config.gz" for differences.
42 Joost