From: Matthias Gerstner <Matthias.Gerstner@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small computing recommendations?
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:54:20
1 Hello,
2
3 > I've looked around at the Raspberry Pi 3
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > I would prefer running Gentoo on it
8 >
9 > [...]
10 >
11 > Any opinions or use cases and stories would be much appreciated.
12
13 well I'm running Gentoo on a Raspberry Pi 2. Getting Gentoo basically
14 running on it wasn't too hard. There's some good information on the
15 wiki:
16
17 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
18
19 I got the Raspberry primarily for multimedia type of applications and
20 experimentations. In the end I ended up with quite an array of extra
21 hardware:
22
23 - a good USB power supply that can provide at least 2.0 A which is
24 recommended
25 - a 32 GB microSD card for holding the (mostly) read-only part of Gentoo
26 - a 16 GB USB drive for holding read/write partitions like /tmp which
27 speeds things up a bit and improves the lifetime of the microSD card
28 - the official raspberry pi touch display
29 https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-touch-display/
30 - a USB wifi WLAN/Bluetooth dongle for wireless connectivity
31 - a USB soundcard, because the onboard audio on the Raspberry has a
32 terrible sound quality
33
34 These are my experiences:
35
36 - compiling your own Kernel for the Raspberry can be challenging until
37 all devices are running as expected.
38 - compilation for the Raspberry for Gentoo is *very* slow even with
39 using distcc to distribute the load on bigger machines.
40 - all kinds of file system writes tend to be slow due to the of memory
41 devices used (microSD card, USB flash drive).
42 - the touchscreen works fine so far even with the touch and some basic
43 gestures working. Some special drivers from Gentoo Portage overlays
44 are required, however.
45 - booting is acceptably fast. I'm running an X server and fluxbox as
46 window manager. It's finished booting after about a minute.
47 - I got hardware accelerated video decoding running but it was a real
48 pain. The broadcom graphics chip is only supported by either a
49 proprietary video player or by the gstreamer framework. I think I
50 compiled gstreamer and OpenGL/Mesa stuff for days in different
51 configurations until I got something out of it.
52 - Getting a fast and fully featured web browser for the Raspberry is
53 something I've still not achieved. Currently I'm running firefox on it
54 which is unbearably slow.
55
56 So in conclusion it's a fun embedded device to work with. It was not too
57 cheap (especially because of the touchscreen). I use it regularly for
58 listening to music or watching short videos. It's too slow, however, for
59 web browsing and much interactive/GUI use. Compiling software on it
60 requires patience. And getting all the drivers and devices working in
61 the first place can be a challenge.
62
63 Best regards
64
65 Matthias
68 Matthias Gerstner, Dipl.-Wirtsch.-Inf. (FH)
69 Entwicklung
70
71 NCP engineering GmbH
72 Dombühler Straße 2, D-90449, Nürnberg
73 Geschäftsführer Peter Söll, HRB-Nr: 77 86 Nürnberg
74
75 Telefon: +49 911 9968-153, Fax: +49 911 9968-229
76 E-Mail: Matthias.Gerstner@×××××.com
77 Internet: http://www.ncp-e.com