From: Mike Kazantsev <mike_kazantsev@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net-tools vs iproute2
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:41:18
1 On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:37:35 +0000
2 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Hi there,
5 >
6 > Could I possibly draw on the combined wisdom of the list to explain
7 > to me the difference between net-tools & iproute2, please?
8
9 I'd quote wikipedia article, since it really explains what iproute2 is
10 about:
11
12 ---
13 iproute2 is intended to replace an entire suite of legacy Unix
14 networking tools that were previously used for the tasks of configuring
15 network interfaces, routing tables, and managing the ARP table.
16
17 Tools replaceable by iproute2 include the ifconfig and route utilities,
18 as well as the arp command and various commands related to creating IP
19 tunnels.
20
21 iproute2 unifies the syntax for these various commands, which
22 evolved over many years of Unix development. The iproute2 syntax is
23 much simpler and more consistent for all of the functions that it
24 provides, and imitates the syntax of Cisco's IOS operating system.
25 ---
26
27 I find it to be true, especially the syntax part - you never ever have
28 to go to manpage with iproute2 if you've grasped it once.
31 > I have this idea that I read a while back that ifconfig is
32 > old-fangled &/or depreciated and that there's a more modern tool for
33 > the job.
34 ...
35 > So am I right in this understanding?
36 > Does iproute2 equal ifconfig-TNG?
37
38 That's not universal truth, too.
39 BSD ifconfig is much more powerful than one, shipped with linux
40 distributions, so there's not much need for iproute2, althrough I hate
41 it's syntax.
42 Still, on linux, it's more of a fact.
45 > So should I just forget about ifconfig & learn iproute2?
46
47 Yes.
50 > Does anyone have any hints or a cheatsheet of most-common commands
51 > that I should know before getting my feet wet?
52
53 Just type 'ip addr' and you see the syntax - it's the same, as in the
54 lines displayed, but if you need something else - just type 'ip addr
55 help', and you'll get everything about 'addr', same for just 'ip help'
59 Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net