From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Advantages or disadvantages of use package.use as directory
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 16:14:36
1 I see there have been a change in how we list our specific use flags.
2
3 I'm seeing /etc/portage/package.use/ pkg1 pkg2 ... etc rather than
4 package.use as a file that contains the specific pkgs and use flags.
5
6 I wonder if there is some advantage to leaving things as my
7 installation has created them or should I revert to the old way where
8 package.use is file... not a directory.
9
10 If directory is better then how would I list USE flags for emacs-vcs?
11
12 Just create a file `/etc/portage/package.use/emacs-vcs' with USE flags
13 Or do I need to create another direrctorry within like:
14 /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs?
15
16 I tried the later like so:
17 /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs
18 where emacs-vcs contains:
19
20 emacs-vcs Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars
21
22 and this way:
23
24 >=app-editors/emacs-vcs-25.0.50_pre20150731 Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars
25
26 But when I attempt emerging... the USE flags do not reflect those
27 choices and shows and error:
28
29 --- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs:
30 >=app-editors/emacs-vcs
31
32 So what is the correct format?