From: Roy Wright <royw@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wha' hoppen to firestarter?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:26:05
1 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
2 > That helps some, but in net-firewall I'm finding a lot of unstable
3 > packages, and no really good idea which ones will be the best for a
4 > personal firewall, let alone which ones are best supported upstream so
5 > this doesn't happen to me again. So I'm interested in
6 > recommendations. What did you switch to?
9 I just switched to shorewall. I configured it to only allow in SSH,
10 but have one weirdy when I try to test using nmap -v -A -P0 in that
11 sometimes nmap reports only port 22 open and 113 closed as expected,
12 but other times it also reports ports 80, 554, and 1755 open, which
13 has me really confused and concerned.
14
15 One word of advice on using shorewall, compile the netfilter options
16 in your kernel as modules, not directly linked in... That one lead
17 me on a merry chase until I punted and switched to using modules...
20 HTH,
21 Roy
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list