From: John Blinka <john.blinka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] color in terminals with white background
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:46:29
1 Hi, All,
2
3 For quite a few years I've had a low level irritation with the font
4 colors in my x11-terms/terminal. I like a white background and a
5 black font in my terminals, and that satisfies me perfectly 99.44% of
6 the time. The colors that appear by default with the ls command are
7 perfect. But the colors that appear when I do an emerge -ptDuNv, and
8 the colors that appear when interactively merging config files with
9 dispatch-conf (configured to use vimdiff) are sometimes completely
10 unreadable. In particular, the light yellow font on a white
11 background that portage uses sometimes is almost invisible. I have
12 tried now and then in the past to develop my own color scheme, but
13 without notable success. I once tried making the yellow darker in
14 various ways, and that helped, but then the (formerly yellow) text
15 became unreadable if I highlighted it. I tried dark backgrounds for a
16 while, but I guess I have too many years of reading black print on
17 white pages; dark backgrounds are just "wrong" for me. And I haven't
18 found any satisfactory answers with web searches. Is there anybody
19 with a font color scheme they like for use on a white background?
20
21 Thanks for any suggestions,
22
23 John Blinka