From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] festival usage (possibly OT)
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 19:12:53
1 On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 11:23:55 -0500
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
5 William --
6
7 Thanks VERY much for asking here. Seeing the post on -dev, I wanted (as is often the case) to reply, but... :(
8
9 This is much better: Here, "no replies" could be taken as a pretty good sign no one cares. ;-)
10
11 > we have several open bugs on app-accessibility/festival and
12 > So, if there are not any
13 > objections, I am considering removing festival from the main gentoo
14 > portage tree.
15
16 I was trying to use it with Asterisk until I hit a file collision error. So, maybe look for another bug report soon... I just started emerging the latest keyword-masked version, so maybe this is fixed already. Nope.
17
18 As for espeak...
19
20 http://asterisk-espeak.sourceforge.net/ ... not for 1.6.x (current) Asterisk.
21
22 So, I think Festival is still the only option for this. Perhaps it'd be good to know for sure before you decide to mothball, or give up maintenance of the ebuilds.
23
24 As for "upstream" development, it looks like they are busy. Is three years really so long not to do a release for something that (apparently) works?
25
26 Looking at the mailing list archives, I see developers posting this year.
27
28 Short of an announcement that the project is abandoned, why are you eager to reap it? Developers are totally allowed to ignore distro packagers -- particularly academics in the summertime, no?
29
30 Are other distros dropping it?
33 > So, what I'm trying to figure out is how popular festival is and what
34 > it is being used for. If you use festival, can you reply to this
35 > thread and give me an idea of how important this package is to you
36 > and how often you use it, etc?
37
38 Anyway, for my purposes and from what I can see, it is simply needed in the tree. And somehow I need to fix this file collision before I can even install it.
39
40 Thanks again for asking.
41
42 Cheers,