From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Disk recommendations?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:28:47
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm just speculating at the moment, from a dabbler's point of view; what benefits
4 > would accrue from switching from RAID-1 to RAID-5 or above? And, in particular,
5 > what are the comparative virtues of the Samsung disks?
9 I have one 750Gb Samsung drive that I have had at least a year. So far,
10 no problems and it is pretty fast. It does what it is supposed to for a
11 3Gbs/sec drive. That said, it may die next week. We all know how this
12 works. They work just fine until they die, usually with no warning or
13 very little warning.
14
15 I might also add, I have a UPS and surge protection coming from the
16 wall, plus surge and voltage protection built into the UPS. I have yet
17 to have a drive die so maybe all that does help. I dunno.
18
19 I have several Western Digital drives, no problems so far although I
20 don't like the green ones to much.
21
22 Just my $0.02 worth.
23