From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No beep.
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2017 02:08:01
1 On 08/14/2017 01:22 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I've almost got my new(ish) machine up and running. In particular, I've
5 > got an email server (s/qmail) running on it, the most difficult part of
6 > bringing up a new box.
7 >
8 > However, during the building, I discovered to my disgust that there was
9 > no loudspeaker in my new case. So, none of the helpful booting beeps
10 > that the motherboard uses to tell us that something's wrong. Still, I
11 > got past that stage.
12 >
13 > But just typing into a virtual tty, sometimes the system (should) beep.
14 > It doesn't. It should.
15 >
16 > It should, because I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
17 > and CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE set to 1.
18 >
19 > My loudspeakers are working, as shown by running speaker-test. I'm
20 > using the kernel I think I am, verified by checking those two config
21 > settings in /proc/config.gz.
22 >
23 > Would somebody please suggest to me where I am going wrong, here?
24 >
25 > Thanks!
28 Apologies, if this is just a stupid question ...
29
30 Did you purchase / install the old BIOS / Case speaker?
31 ... yes, that 80's piece of speaker tech :)
32
33 Newer motherboards and cases don't come with one.
34 Had to spend ... $3 for a new one.
35 (U)EFI won't go BEEP! without one.
36
37 Corbin