From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:57:58
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 09:09:17 Indi did opine thusly:
2 > On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 08:06:09AM -0400, Todd Goodman wrote:
3 > > * Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com> [110622 18:59]:
4 > > > On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 04:30:01PM -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > > > > Then again, I don't fly either. I have told people that
6 > > > > if they see me on a plane, close the lid on my coffin.
7 > > > > That's the only way I would get on a plane.
8 > > >
9 > > > You haven't lived until you've been up in a small,
10 > > > underpowered
11 > > > ultralight or single engine plane. :)
12 > >
13 > > Or flying a small single-engine helicopter solo...
14 >
15 > The "Scorpion 2" helicopter kit ads in my dad's Popular Mechanics
16 > mags way back in the day made a big impression on me. Way more
17 > risky than a simple fixed wing or autogyro, and not terribly fuel
18 > efficient either...
19 >
20 > They sure do look like a lot of fun though.
21
22 When I stand on the balcony at work having a smoke, I look straight at
23 the only helipad within 30 miles (there is one more in the CBD, but
24 it's strictly medical airlift only). Below my feet is the entrance to
25 the parking garage.
26
27 My house has a flat roof, wouldn't take a lot of effort to erect a
28 platform over it.
29
30 See where I'm going with this?
31
32 I was seriously considering importing a single seater heli kit, they
33 are classed as ultralights and do not need a pilot's license. But
34 there's an obscure clause in the rules that states ultralights cannot
35 be flown within 50m of a dwelling.
36
37 So now I have to be content with only going to work on the V-twin bike
40 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com