From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Allow delay for booting from USB device?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 13:05:56
1 On Friday 18 April 2014 12:02:01 Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > Is there a way to make Gentoo or other Linux allow extra time when root is
3 > on a USB device? Any way to say "just a second" or more like 15 seconds
4 > before aborting with the message that root partition does not exist?
5 >
6 > In this case it's an IDE hard drive in a USB enclosure.
7 >
8 > FreeBSD seems to handle this situation better. I would get a
9 > mountroot>
10 > prompt, to which I would respond
11 > ufs:/dev/ada0p3
12 > and be good.
13 >
14 > I could avoid this situation with /boot/loader.conf
15 >
16 > legal.realtek.license_ack=1
17 > rsu-rtl8712fw_load="YES"
18 > kern.cam.scsi_delay="13000" # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
19 > kern.cam.boot_delay="16000" # Delay (in ms) of root mount for CAM bus
20 > hint.re.0.disabled="1"
21 >
22 > but don't know if Linux has anything like this.
23 >
24 > Only lines 3 and 4 are relevant to this issue; other lines are for different
25 > issues.
26 >
27 > Tom
28
29 Try adding " rootdelay = 15 " to the kernel commandline.
30 This should make the kernel wait 15 seconds before trying to access the root-
31 device.
32
33 See:
34 http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/linux_kernel/kernel_configuration/re58.html
35
36 I used this myself in the past when booting from USB-devices.
37
38 Kind regards,
39
40 Joost