From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Overclocking CPU causes segmentation fault
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 09:44:00
1 On 22/01/13 09:41, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:
2 > So I have this old E2180 processor and no money as of now to buy a new
3 > rig :P
4 > I'm trying to overclock my CPU using BIOS host clock control and
5 > everything is fine at 2.6 Ghz up to bootloader.
6 >
7 > Kernel segfaults. Any idea why? I'm running pf-kernel 3.7.2 and it
8 > doesn't work with vanilla kernel either.
9 >
10 > Intel MCE is disabled in kernel configuration.
11
12 When you raise the "host clock", which is the FSB, you are also raising
13 the frequency of your RAM. So make sure you select a lower FSB:DRAM
14 ratio in your BIOS. To begin with, set it to 1:1.
15
16 Also, if you only have the stock CPU cooler that came with it, you won't
17 be able to actually get a stable overclock. Your CPU's stock frequency
18 is 2GHz. Without a better cooler, you might get it to 2.2 or 2.3 maybe.
19 But 2.6? That's pretty optimistic. I don't think it'll work in the
20 long run, unless you happen to have picked a good chip that can be
21 overclocked without raising the VCore.
22
23 But first, solve the RAM problem by lowering the FSB:DRAM ratio.