From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] IOMMU and other oddities...
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 05:34:13
1 Hi,
2
3 my PC consists -- beside other things -- of a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T,
4 a ASUS Crossfire Formula IV and a NVidia GeForce GT 430 by MSI (PCIe).
5 Furthermore I am using the vanilla Linux kernel 3.0.1. .
6
7 I browsed through the output of dmesg and found these lines:
8
9 Checking aperture...
10 No AGP bridge found
11 Node 0: aperture @ c4000000 size 32 MB
12 Aperture pointing to e820 RAM. Ignoring.
13 Your BIOS doesn't leave a aperture memory hole
14 Please enable the IOMMU option in the BIOS setup
15 This costs you 64 MB of RAM
16 Mapping aperture over 65536 KB of RAM @ c4000000
17
18 The kernel is not configured with any AGP-related (as far as I now)
19 feature/config.
20
21 Why does it look for an AGP-bridge???
22
23 The dmesg says I should switch on IOMMU, which I did. But that does
24 not impress the kernel that much since it still recommends to switch
25 on IOMMU.
26
27 What did I wrong here ?
28
29 I want to fix issues, which may be reported by dmesg, so:
30 Where can I find explanations to the dmesg output?
31
32 For your information I attached the compressed dmesg output
33 to this mail.
34
35 Thank you very much for your help in advance!
36 Best regards
37 mcc

dmesg-out.txt.7z application/octet-stream