From: "András Csányi" <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Au revoir, gnome-3.8
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 09:13:13
1 On 7 August 2013 02:38, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I was so hot to prove to myself that I could do the Big Update on both
3 > systemd and openrc gentoo machines that I didn't spend much time actually
4 > *using* gnome-3.8 until yesterday.
5 >
6 > Have you ever lived or worked in a building during a big remodeling? With
7 > most of your living/working space completely (but temporarily) demolished?
8 >
9 > For me, that's gnome-3.8 :(
10 >
11 > I spent all day today reverting my main desktop from ~amd64 to amd64, and
12 > I'm happy to be back home in gnome2 :) I'm very grateful to the gentoo
13 > devs for keeping gnome2 available, BTW. Some distros don't give anyone
14 > that option.
15 >
16 > I don't hate gnome3, honest and truly. I hate living in gnome3 during
17 > the Big Remodel, that's all. Same goes for systemd, but I find systemd
18 > more useable than gnome3 at this time.
19 >
20 > I'm hoping to see both projects start to feel like home to me, but today
21 > is not that day.
22 >
23 > Meanwhile I see other windmills to tilt at :)
24
25 Kde is not a possible solution for you? I'm just asking, I do not want
26 to start a flamewar about which is the better/worst. :)
27
28 That's the reason why I have kde and xfce on my machine. I always have
29 a fallback plan. I spend I few weeks for Unity from unity-gentoo
30 overlay and the big gnome-3.8 update messed up everything and I spent
31 almost a week the get back Unity, and I gave up. During this week I
32 was able to work on my machine because I had kde.
35 -- Csanyi Andras (Sayusi Ando) -- http://sayusi.hu --
36 http://facebook.com/andras.csanyi
37 -- ""Trust in God and keep your gunpowder dry!" - Cromwell