From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Switched from rsync to git, now emerge --sync fails
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:22:32
1 On Thursday, 14 October 2021 03:50:59 BST Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2021-10-13, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:50 PM Grant Edwards
4 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> Is there some reason it should default
6 > >> to doing unlimited depth fetch operations?
7 > >
8 > > If all you want is a repo, no reason to set the depth higher.
9 >
10 > Then a default of 1 seems like the obvious "right" answer.
11 > Unfortunately, it defaults to "unlimited" according to
12 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/repos.conf
13 >
14 > sync-depth
15 >
16 > Specifies sync depth to use for DVCS repositories. If set to 0,
17 > the depth is unlimited. Defaults to 0.
18 >
19 > > If you want to see the history then you'll want it all.
20 >
21 > Apparently, that's the default. Without any sync-depth setting the
22 > fetch was stalling and then timing out after 60s. With sync-depth=1,
23 > the fetch completed in about 1s.
24
25 I have it set to 8 here, for no reason I can remember. Is there a disadvantage
26 in that?
29 Regards,
30 Peter.