From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To swap or not to swap? Is it really needed?
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 14:26:01
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM, Claudio Roberto França Pereira
5 >>> <spideybr@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>>> ZRAM is a compressed ramdisk for swap, right? I'm really not
7 >>>> interested currently.
8 >>>> My next system will have 16gb of ram, and I'll create an 8gb ramdisk
9 >>>> on it to increase emerge performance. Other than that, I'm pretty
10 >>>> happy with my system performance, disabling swap and compositing
11 >>>> effects (remember, open source radeon drivers, I might try fglrx again
12 >>>> but I really liked KMS) did the trick.
13 >>> 8GB isn't enough for some packages. Though putting it on top of zram
14 >>> might work. I don't know how you'd calculate the free space, though,
15 >>> and portage would check in advance.
16 >>>
17 >> I have portages work directory on tmpfs and it works fine. I don't have it
18 >> set to a specific amount so it uses whatever it needs. It even works fine
19 >> with LOo. I have 16Gbs in all but it rarely uses more than 4Gbs. Of
20 >> course, I don't just sit here and watch it either. I start my updates and
21 >> usually go to bed.
22 > Hm. tmpfs defaults (at least on my system) to a capacity of about 3GB.
23 > What do you have for mount options in fstab?
24 >
25 > I used to put portage's work directory on tmpfs, but I had to stop
26 > when LO ran out of space in a pre-check, IIRC. Now I have it on top of
27 > a RAID5 it shares with /home.
30 This is my fstab line:
31
32 tmpfs /var/tmp/portage tmpfs noatime 0 0
33
34 According to df it is this size:
35
36 tmpfs 8232940 3008 8229932 1% /var/tmp/portage
37
38 So it defaults to half the ram you have. I read that somewhere so I set
39 mine up that way since from what I read, it can grow if needed. So far,
40 I have had no problems with it set this way. Even LOo compiles with no
41 problems.
42
43 Right now, I'm having a issue with phonon-gstreamer-4.5.1 so the failed
44 emerge is still there. If it hadn't failed, it would be using 0 space.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
52
53 Miss the compile output? Hint:
54 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"