From: bitlord <bitlord0xff@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Radeon driver - blank console
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2015 14:11:16
1 On Monday, January 05, 2015 02:42:46 PM Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > the recent update of virtual/opengl forced me to switch from my ati
5 > [legacy] driver to the open source driver (radeon)
6 >
7 > While I got X11 running, my console gets blanked before I can log in
8 > on the command line.
9 >
10 > Which (framebuffer?) kernel parameters have to set?
11 > It looks like the kernel or init process (openrc) tries to switch to a
12 > higher resolution (on the text console) when the screen (console) gets
13 > blanked.
14 >
15 > (Loggin in "blindly" and invoking startx, I get a running X-server).
16 >
17 > Many thanks for some pointers,
18 > Helmut
19
20 I'm not sure what is the problem there, I have amd/ati 4350 with free driver
21 on my system, works fine with X or tty. I don't know how you configured your
22 system, but you can always check gentoo_wiki/radeon [1], most modern amd/ati
23 cards need non-free firmware to work properly, even for some "more basic" stuff,
24 not only 3d (I think KMS needs non-free firmware too).
28 [1] - http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon