From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 22:14:17
1 >> It's time to switch hosts. I'm looking at the following:
2 >>
3 >> Dual Xeon E5-2690
4 >> 32GB RAM
5 >> 4x SSD RAID10
6 > nice
7 >> Can I count on this system to keep running if I lose an SSD?
8 > if a built in raid controller, yes. one thing you might want to check is
9 > linux tools for management -- you wouldn't want to reboot just go to go
10 > into the raid tools and check if it requires a rebuild, and you want to
11 > be able to schedule regular scrubs and maybe get a report.
12 > you might also like to consider OOB management such as IPMI, dell and HP
13 > do very lovely web based control panels that are independent of your
14 > main o/s allowing you to get alerts when bad things happen, and
15 > crucially watch reboot process from remote locations.
16
17 Good idea, I will look into IPMI.
18
19 >> Is a 100M uplink enough if this is my only system on the LAN?
20 > gigabit NICs are pretty cheap i'd be surprised if any new machine didn't
21 > have gigabit. i would suggest if you ever want to transfer data over
22 > 10GB across the network you should request gigabit
23
24 I should be OK with 100M. I shouldn't be copying anything across the LAN.
25
26 >> Any opinions on Soft Layer?
27 >>
28 >> - Grant
29 > are you putting this server in colocation at softlayer? if so OOB is a
30 > requirement, and gigabit is not
31
32 I decided against colocation because I don't want to be responsible
33 for fixing hardware problems. It would be a hosted machine.
34
35 - Grant