From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'firmware_install' won't on 4.14.7-gentoo
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 17:27:58
1 On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 20 December 2017 16:03:02 GMT Mike Gilbert wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> > You are quite right, there is no firmware_install in the 4.14.7 release.
6 >> > What does this mean? How are we meant to install firmware now?
7 >>
8 >> I believe all firmware has been removed from the kernel sources.
9 >>
10 >> You should install sys-kernel/linux-firmware, or grab just the files
11 >> you need from the git repo.
12 >>
13 >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git
14 >
15 > Thank you all, but I see to have a mental disconnect here:
16 >
17 > I already have sys-kernel/linux-firmware-20170314 installed.
18 >
19 > I have specified in the kernel which blobs I need and /lib/firmware/ as the
20 > path for the kernel to find any firmware it may need.
21 >
22 > I used to run make firmware_install and the kernel was able to load whatever
23 > firmware I had specified so that CPU/GPU can function properly at boot time.
24 >
25 > With 4.14.7 I (can) no longer do this;
26 >
27 > AND
28 >
29 > the newly compiled kernel does not load at boot time any of the needed
30 > firmware.
31 >
32 > What step am I missing to arrive at a bootable kernel with all necessary
33 > firmware?
34
35 Are you using an initramfs? Does the initramfs contain the necessary
36 firmware blobs?