From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recurring reiserfs error
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 21:05:11
1 On Saturday 07 October 2006 00:26, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > (note dmesg follows message)
3 >
4 > Out of 12 partitions in my setup 8 are reiserfs. During bootup I see
5 > them go by being checked, but always the last one /dev/hda11 fails
6 > with this message:
7 >
8 > fsck could not repair all errors ....
9 >
10 > And drops me into the repair shell.
11 >
12 > This has happened over several kernels and for mnths.
13 > I finally just took to C-d to finish booting. This is after stopping
14 > to reiserfsck /dev/hda11 many times. It always passes with no error
15 > messages.
16 >
17 > Oddly, the drive is always mounted once boot is complete (I mean even
18 > when I just press Ctrl-d to by-pass fixing.) And no problems
19 > read/write to it occur.
20 >
21 > I finally reformatted /dev/hda11 to ext3. Now the last reiserfs
22 > partition that shows up in boot messages is /dev/hda9 and it fails the
23 > same way.
24 >
25 > These facts lead me to believe it isn't really a reiserfs failure at
26 > all but something earlier that just shows up at that point, but I
27 > cannot fathom out what.
30 Have you checked the output of fdisk to make sure the partition does not
31 overlap with another?
32
33 fdisk -l /dev/hda
34
35 and check that no 2 partitions are using the same disk blocks.
39 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
40 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
41 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list