From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] codec for video embedded in presentation
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:38:08
1 On 2012-12-30, Francisco Ares wrote:
2
3 > Hello All,
4 >
5 > I know this is WAY off- topic, but I have seen topics in many different
6 > areas, probably some gentooers will be glad to share experiences.
7 >
8 > I am trying to create some videos for a M$ Office presentation. Some are
9 > from "recordmydesktop", which produces an OGG video, that I have to
10 > convert, so "Powerpoint" will open it without complaining. (I know the
11 > trick about renaming the video file to AVI extension, but this does not
12 > work always)
13 >
14 > So I would like to know witch is the best/correct codec to encode/convert a
15 > video file for proper use with M$ Powerpoint.
16 >
17 > I have being using this script for testing:
18 >
19 > #! /bin/bash
20 > mencoder "$1" -oac pcm -ovc lavc -lavcopts
21 > vcodec=ffv1:vbitrate=1200:vme=4:mbd=2:v4mv:dia=-1 -ofps 25 -o test.avi
22 >
23 > Any ideas/suggestions?
24
25 Keep in mind that the support for videos in powerpoint presentations
26 will vary greatly across different powerpoint versions, windows versions
27 and even across different installs of the same versions. Even if you
28 manage to get a version of powerpoint to "like" the container and
29 codecs, it may not work on all computers.
30
31 The AVI container has been used by windows for a long time, so I'd say
32 chances are that it will work on more systems, but I can't say for sure.
36 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
37 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/