From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 3
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 14:43:01
1 On 2012-01-05 12:46, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I switch on a modern computer and it:
4 >
5 > - loads a feature rich OS (UEFI) from a fixed point in firmware which
6 > then
7 >
8 > - loads a feature rich OS (grub2) from a fixed point on a storage
9 > device which then
10
11 This is a precise argument why coreboot (and filo for grub(n)) is
12 needed... Unfortunately it's not widely available for consumers... :-(
13 I do have a couple of motherboards with switchable flash roms that I
14 intend to get coreboot on, "when I can find the time"... sigh...
15
16 > - loads a feature rich OS (initrd) from a variable location on a
17 > storage device which then
18
19 Haven't used this since I got rid of Redhat 5.x (or maybe it was
20 6.x?)... and never will again even if that means going the non-linux route.
21
22 > - loads the real OS (the thing I actually wanted).
23 >
24 > So, let's see now. I need 4 OSes to get one. Wow. If a design engineer
25 > pulled that stunt in almost any other field of technology, he'd be
26 > laughed out of Dodge in a heartbeat.
27
28 Couldn't agree more!
29
30 > Methinks someone (many someones) completely lost the plot a long time
31 > ago.
32
33 Yes, and we're continuing along that path, it seems.
34
35 Best regards
36
37 Peter K