From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locking dependant installs
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2012 17:25:24
1 On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 17:20:05 +0200
2 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Suppose the following setup:
7 >
8 > I want to emerge application "F", which
9 > depends on library "A","B","C","D" and "E",
10 > which unfortunately are not used by any other
11 > program and are really heavy to compile in terms
12 > of compile time.
13 >
14 > Unfortunately the last step -- the compilation
15 > of "A" -- fails, which I recognize unfortunately
16 > but naturally at the moment all other dependencies
17 > are installed.
18 >
19 > Is there a legal and clean way to "lock" those
20 > already installed dependencies and save them
21 > from being wiped out by the tidy and clean up
22 > commands normally used after a general update
23 > of gentoo?
24
25 Put them in your world file.
26
27 or with portage-2.2 you could maintain your own set of stuff you want to
28 keep and emerge that set. This is effectively the same thing as putting
29 things in world but you might find it to be cleaner and easier to
30 maintain (a cluttered world is very untidy and prone to being cleaned)
34 > Thank you very much for any help in advance!
35 > Best regards,
36 > mcc
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com