From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble downgrading systemd and virtual/udev
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:42:12
1 On Wed, Sep 25 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 10:00 PM, <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Sep 25 2013, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Don't mask anything, just make sure that systemd (both virtual/ and
7 >>> sys-apps/) is not on package.keywords.
8 >>
9 >> This system is ~amd64 (I should have said that earlier).
10 >
11 >> I would create
12 >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/systemd
13 >> and put in it two lines
14 >> -~sys-apps/systemd
15 >> -~virtual/udev
16 >>
17 > No, I thought you were in amd64, not ~amd64. If you are in ~amd64,
18 > putting things in /etc/portage/package.keywords should be useless.
19
20 Actually that is not correct. Note the - before the ~. I read man
21 portage and found out about this (see below). It mentions running
22 mostly stable and mostly unstable.
23
24 > Mixing amd64 and ~amd64 is not supported; it usually works if you are
25 > in amd64, and you only keyword some select packages: that's the way I
26 > use GNOME 3.8, soon 3.10, in an otherwise stable system.
27
28 It is true that the primary reason for my using testing is for gnome-3.
29 My long term goal is to go to stable for my main system. But, of
30 course, that takes quite a bit of time to let the unstable packages die
31 off (or quite a bit of effort to force the downgrades).
32
33 > If you are trying to downgrade systemd for the problems related to
34 > GNOME and logind in 206, I'm happy to report that version 207
35 > (available since Sep 14) solves everything; at least in my desktop and
36 > laptop. You should try it.
37
38 I am running sys-apps/systemd-207-r2. Booting has become MUCH worse.
39 I will send details to you off list.
40
41 thanks again for your continual help,
42 allan
43
44 ================ man portage extract ================
45
46 package.accept_keywords and package.keywords
47 Per-package ACCEPT_KEYWORDS. Useful for mixing
48 unstable packages in with a normally stable system
49 or vice versa. This will allow ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to
50 be augmented for a single package.
51
52 [snip]
53