From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Would emerge --sync remove old profiles?
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:39:45
1 I was at my folks house earlier this week. My mom's machine was set up
2 quite a long time ago and hadn't been updated in at least a year -
3 maybe two. I wasn't even aware she was using Linux. I simply set up a
4 machine, gave her an account and walked away. she told me a few days
5 ago she was using it but was having some trouble with Firefox and
6 asked me to look at it.
7
8 I ran emerge --sync which ran correctly as far as I could tell at the
9 time. I then tried emerge -pvDuN system and was greeted with a message
10 about how the profile wasn't set and the system couldn't/wouldn't
11 perform an emerge. /etc/make.profile was pointing at a 2005 profile.
12 When I looked in at profiles that were available there were only 2006
13 & 2007 profiles.
14
15 Did this machine just get messed up over time and I didn't notice or
16 did emerge --sync remove the profile from the system thus breaking
17 everything?
18
19 Thanks,
20 Mark