From: Zdenek Travnicek <v154c1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Serial port over ethernet
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:27:40
1 Thanks for all replies
4 > The problem is the Linux pty driver.
5 > To impliment a working remote serial port, you have to write a
6 > kernel-mode serial driver -- and that's a lot of work. [Writing
7 > one isn't bad, maintaining one is a complete bitch due to the
8 > way the infrastructure keeps shifting out from under you.] I've
9 > proposed fixing the pty driver to allow it to emulate a real
10 > serial port, but that proposal wasn't well accepted by the
11 > powers-that-be in the Linux kernel world.
14 I wanted merely save some time and have more comfort during programming
15 PICs.
16 Writing kernel driver for (emulated) serial port is would take much more
17 time than I can ever save by it.
18 I will probably try it once I have some spare time anyway )
19
20 Until then I stick with programming over ssh ;p
21
22 Sincerely
23 Zdenek Travnicek