From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:27:02
1 On Sep 10, 2012 7:14 PM, "Chris Stankevitz" <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 >
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I installed twm to test my xorg as per the gentoo install docs. Works
7 great!
8 >
9 > Then I decided to install what I thought would be a lightweight WM:
10 > xfce4 with "emerge -vat xfce4-meta". Unfortunately emerge didn't want
11 > to continue without some changes from me involving USE flags gudev,
12 > policykit, and consolekit.
13 >
14 > At this point I see three options:
15 >
16 > 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
17 > of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
18 > enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta
19 >
20 > 2. Do not attempt to understand the USE flags and enable them anyway
21 > (frightening given all the polictykit and consolekit chatter I see on
22 > google)
23 >
24 > 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
25 > these USE flags.
26 >
27 > I'm leaning towards (3).
28 >
29 > Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
30 > policykit, and consolekit?
31 >
32 > Thank you,
33 >
34 > Chris
35 >
36 I'm very fond of 'awesome'. It has a steep learning curve, but, once
37 climbed, it lives up to its name.