From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: nvidia warning comes a tad late
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 04:14:37
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-02, ?Q? <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> In <20090102224554.57ea4a64@krikkit>,
5 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 >>> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 09:09:23 -0600, ?Q? wrote:
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>>> That's the point of this thread, the ebuild does perform a test
12 >>>>> before installation, but goes ahead straight after the warning.
13 >>>>>
14 >>>> AFAIAC, the post-install log is exactly where the message belongs --
15 >>>> that's where I'd look if I'd broken my system.
16 >>>>
17 >>> Would it be better if your system wasn't broken?
18 >>>
19 >> Yes, but I continue not to believe that it should be portage's job to
20 >> prevent me from installing things that break my system.
23 > You must be pretty unhappy with Gentoo, because portage seems
24 > to go to a great deal of effort to avoid breaking things (what
25 > with all that dependancy stuff it does). Several times a month
26 > it refuses to update because of blockages alone.
30 I bet with all the good work the devs do, this could be dealt with
31 pretty easily. After all, they made portage so they can move
32 mountains. LOL
33
34 I do think that emerging a package that will knowingly break something
35 is a bad idea. I still say that if this was baselayout or some critical
36 package needed to boot, this would have to be dealt with quickly. I
37 just don't think the devs would intentionally release a bad critical
38 package that is known to break something.
39
40 Dale
41